Wednesday 26 January 2011

Film review


I had never heard the story of Chris McCandless or Alexander Supertramp until a few days ago. I was watching a DVD one raining afternoon stuck indoors and began flicking through the trailers to kill time when I came across a trailer for the film above. Something about the trailer enticed me so I began googling In to the Wild and came across his story.
Chris McCandless was man who travelled across many parts of America with no money and very little equipment. His ultimate goal was to live in Alaska for a period of complete solitude and self reliance. A goal which led to tragic death by starvation (though some say poisoning).
My first initial reaction was to think him a very silly person indeed, who on earth would let themselves get into such a situation. But after reading more about him and his beliefs and seeing the film I have changed that opinion. The world we live in today is overly complicated. We have less free time now than we did 50 years ago, even with all these 'wonderful' inventions that will save us time and change our lives. More people than ever are suffering from mental health problems, there is more crime, more hate. Chris rose above all this. He returned to a more simple natural life that some can only dream of, and I for one find myself in awe of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, Thank you for dropping by.